Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Keeping up the tradition



According to folklore in the White house, I may have been a bit selfish in my younger days. In fact I was probably pretty much unbearable for about 6 months leading up to Christmas as I would begin scanning catalogs, fliers and magazines compiling a comprehensive list of all the things I felt I needed. To help battle this growing problem, my parents decided to take our family and buy toys, not for me, but for the Toys For Tots toy drive the US Marines do every year.

So for about as long as I can remember, my family has been keeping us this tradition of getting together and buying lots of toys for kids who aren't as fortunate. Last year Jill & I did our toy shopping back in Oklahoma with my parents, but this year has us staying in Colorado for the holidays so we'd do our shopping here on the Front Range. So Sarah, Jill and I loaded up on a sunny Saturday and headed off to take part in what has become one of my favorite things to do every year.

We don't take this task lightly, we pick things up, push buttons, pull cords and find stuff that we think would be fun to play with. We get lots of toys that are throwbacks to our own childhood days, and generally just have a great time in giving a little something back.

Between us and Sarah, we pretty much filled up the entire bin of toys. We had nearly 100 toys between us, which hopefully will make Christmas a little better for some kids out there this year.

1 comment:

Lyndal said...

That's awesome.