Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Like Father, Like Son

My name is Joel and I have a problem buying bikes.

(Now is when you say to yourself, "Hi Joel")

While at Winter Park, we noticed they had a collection of Strider bikes available for rent. Even before Cooper was born, I have wanted to buy him a bike. I thought that if we could tear the kid away from miniature golf for an hour, I could get him on the Strider bike to try it out and see if he enjoyed it like I thought he might. With Cooper's 3rd birthday coming up quickly, this seemed like a great present for both kid and slightly older kid.

The rentals were an absolute bargain at $5 / hour with a helmet. Cooper quickly decided on his color preference and the shop attendant got the bike setup for Cooper and away we went.

Cooper getting his helmet on and ready to go

From 4th of July in Winter Park


Matching helmet and bike, guaranteed to be fast

From 4th of July in Winter Park


Bikes are good for both big and small

From 4th of July in Winter Park


Straight to the dirt and ramps for us

From 4th of July in Winter Park


Cooper was a natural and wanted no help to hit the wooden ramps

From 4th of July in Winter Park



From 4th of July in Winter Park


After mastering the wooden ramps, it was time for the dirt

From 4th of July in Winter Park


A little help to get up one of the bumps

From 4th of July in Winter Park




And then a crash.....

While going up one of the steep embankments, he lost his footing and crashed. I quickly ran over to him and got him up and going again, and Cooper was quick to get back on and go. Even after the crash when we would ask him if he wanted help he would reply "I can do it myself".

Some post crash reflection

From 4th of July in Winter Park



From 4th of July in Winter Park



And a couple of videos of Cooper in action

From 4th of July in Winter Park



From 4th of July in Winter Park

2 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Joel:

"I can do it myself" - fantastic.

Also, you see those 3 hills you helped Cooper with in the video? I think that's what Copper Triangle will be like.

Jennifer B.

joel.white said...

You are right, this is representative of the Copper Triangle.

I will be laying on the ground crying and JB will be encouraging me to get up and keep trying to make it over the next hill.

I'm gonna suffer....