Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Giving Thanks in a Gorgeous Place

 


I love to travel. It feeds my soul. I knew that we needed to get our bunch out of the last few months of funk, so we decided to travel this Thanksgiving. Looking at our options, we chose to go to Sedona, AZ . Joel and I had visited there many years before, and Joel had gone with some buddies a few years earlier on a mountain biking trip. So we knew that there were lots of things to do, and the kids would love it. Finding a place  to stay was a little harder, but thankfully the week before Thanksgiving a nice house , that allowed the super pooch to travel with us opened up. After we booked it ,I started looking at how many people the house could hold - and it was large :). So I decided to see if Mom and Dad wanted to come too, since I get my travel gene from my Momma! And they also knew they needed to get moving again. So the weekend before Thanksgiving we headed out to New Mexico.... which I have never been too before.  The drive to Sedona is about 12 hours, but we decided to break it into two days, staying in Santa Fe Saturday night. It was interesting. The state has been shut down in a very harsh way. It was like a ghost town when I was walking the dog, and finding food became a challenge. My heart hurts for the people in the town being locked down so harshly. I pray daily this pandemic will be defeated soon.  

So the next morning we started making our way to Sedona. Since we only had a 6 hour drive I thought we should stop somewhere and hike. We saw on the map the Petrified Forest National Park, and thought that would work. We were able to get out and stretch the legs for about 45 mins. It was interesting to see the buttes and it was a beautiful place in it's on way.

Lauren (9), Jill, Cooper (12), and Obi (4) at Petrified Forest

 After getting the kinks out we headed on the Sedona.  Joel started looking for something on the map. We were passing right by Winslow, AZ. So now we had to stop. And I must say our kids did not know the song, so we need to work on our musically history lessons.

Standing on a Corner in Winslow, Arizona 

 

 A few short hours later we make it to Sedona, and the rental house was lovely with a big yard for the kids and dog. The next morning we decided to hike at Cathedral Rock. It was beautiful and crowded. I personally was thrilled to see everyone getting out a living life.

Cathedral Rock - we hiked about a third of the way up - was too rocky for Obi

All three little ones enjoyed scrambling on the rocks



   Mom and Dad arrived Monday night and we grabbed some take out.  The next day we rented bikes and the kids and I rode about 12 miles. (Joel might have done a few more). It was fun and challenging. Cooper rode really well with the years of Boulder Junior Cycling proving their worth. Lauren's rental bike was not as nice as the rest of ours, but she rode it like a beast.  I, of course, fell and are still sporting a bruise on my leg, but it was a great day.

All Smiles
This is Bell rock - we saw people BASE jumping off it.

What a view

 My Dad nor my kids have ever been to the Grand Canyon, so since it was less then 2 hours away we had to make the trip. It is a spectacular place and no real words can describe it. It was amazing and well worth the drive.
Cooper, Lauren, Joel, Judy, and Jim with my shadow
Grandpa with the Girl
Even Obi made the trip
Lauren with her Daddy


Thanksgiving day was lovely and calm. Short hike in the morning and then we stayed around the house and played lots of games , enjoying the beauty. Mom and Dad had brought their Corn Hole game and the kids played many, many games. We had picked up some easy groceries and had ham with some other pre-made sides. As all know, I still hate cooking, but it was a passable meal, with amazing company. 

Really Nice Turkey Trot


Enjoying the fire pit
 
Our View at Lunch


Friday came too soon and we had to head home again.  It was a lovely trip and so glad we made the effort, and believe me trying to get my hubby to travel is an effort.  I am so grateful for the amazing world and wonderful life I am blessed with. It was a Gorgeous Thanksgiving.






 






 




No comments: