Monday, April 24, 2006

80s to snow, I saw dead people and road bikes.

The crazy weather pattern continued as Saturday was a perfect 70deg day light winds, Sunday was warm and windy and now today is cold (40ish) with rain/snow. We certainly needed the moisture, so I don't mind a day or two of cold.

A pretty slow weekend by our standards, but you need those sometimes to get caught up. We went to the Denver Museum of Science and Nature on Saturday morning to check out the Body Worlds 2 exhibit. The exhibit shows real human cadavers who have been through a process dubbed "plastination" where they are preserved in a particular pose. It was very interesting to see the inner workings of the amazing human body and it was certainly a unique experience. But quite frankly it really freaked me out at first, but then I got desensitized to it and found it pretty interesting. Jill was excited to see it, so we compromised and I went to that with her and then she went to the IMAX movie "Wired to Win" with me that centered around Tour De France racers and their body's struggle to deal with the continual pain.


I decided that I'm going to get another bike. I absolutely love my Yeti 575, but I decided to get either a road bike or more likely a cross bike to do some roadie type events. Right now this Felt is the bike that has peaked my interest, but I'm checking out some other ones as well. I think a cross bike is the way to go for me as I could use it to commute to work, ride the dirt road Poorman Loop here in Boulder at lunch, but then still do some true road rides.

This was all started by my thinking that I would do the MS150 this summer with my sister. I think I'd be able to finish just fine on my 575 with slicks and the travel locked down, but a 6 inch travel 30lb bike is definitely not the norm on a road ride like the MS150. It would also be really nice to have a bike that worked a bit better with my trainer in the winter months, as the full squish mountain bikes just don't feel at home (nor should they) on trainers.

My true love will still remain riding the trails, but having a pseudo road bike to spin some "easier" rides on would be nice for those days when I just don't have the time to make it to a trail.

No comments: