Monday, September 18, 2006

Pigskin Weekend

Fall forces its way in, regardless how hard I wish for a couple more weeks of summer. With the abrupt entrance of this Fall stuff, comes football. I did a doubleheader this weekend, catching the CU/Ariz. State game in Boulder with some buddies Saturday night then the Broncos/Chiefs game in Denver yesterday.

I've been to a whole lot of football games in my life, and without doubt, CU has the worst bunch of fans I've ever witnessed in my life. I had the pleasure of sitting in the student section, which is a mistake that I won't soon make again. The seats were great, about 20 rows up, 50 yard line but the students at CU are terrible. The things I saw and heard were eye opening.

Most of the antics are not even repeatable, but I'll give you an example. I saw the same student, sitting about 5 rows in front and 10 seats down, throw objects into the student section below him 3 separate times. Ridiculous. I don't know what he was throwing, but it didn't matter to me. The fact that he continuously threw objects into other students and no one around him had the sense to say something to him just blew me away. I've heard some horror stories about CU fans, but I honestly didn't really believe it.

On the contrary, the Broncos fans are impressive. Even though the game was a grinder that was barren of big plays and touchdowns, the Broncos fans seem to be classy and knowledgeable. This is the 2nd Bronco's game I've attended, and both times I left impressed with the crowd.

The Broncos game was, well, pretty boring as football games go. It basically consisted of Larry Johnson running for 4-5 yards a carry, the Broncos having 4 or 5 play drives and then punting. I'm not sure how the Broncos actually managed to pull out a victory, as they surely didn't play very well but a win is a win.

And with Fall here it means Fantasy Football....
Dispite having the best player in the league, Landanian Tomlinson, my team falls to 0-2 this week. I've done my best to coach myself into 0-2 by putting in the wrong players in back to back weeks. My teams typically start off super hot then fade down the stretch, so maybe its a reversal of fortune this year. Then again my team may just be terrible all year, but I'll be skiing on Sundays (it snowed down to 8500ft this weekend) in a couple months so it won't matter anyway.

No comments: