Sunday, February 11, 2007

Catching up with some old friends

Its a typical Wednesday night at our house last week. I'm downstairs doing intervals on my road bike on the trainer while watching OState vs OU in the 2nd edition of bedlam, while Jill is upstairs watching TV and reading a book. I hear my cell phone beep, meaning I have a new text. Since I'm Tivo time-shifted, I chose to ignore it until after the game.

I hop off the trainer, grab the phone and its a message from Blake, a friend of mine from Solarc. It simply states:

"In Breckenridge for the next few days"

Well that's random, but not too out of character for Blake, the guy who missed 4 consecutive flights in a single day once. So I call Blake and he's at DIA and is heading to Summit County with some college buds on an impromptu ski trip. We talk for a bit and I get the details, but won't be able to shake work due to meetings so I tell him I'll call when I get some details about when we could make it out.

Friday night, Jill & I decided against buying $78/day lift tickets to ski with the guys, who were learning to snowboard (i.e. slow!). We slept in, I worked on my bikes, ran some errands and then we loaded up and headed to Summit County.

We met up with Blake and Doug Wick, another displaced Solarcer, on Main St. in Breckenridge early Saturday evening. They were there with a group of 7 guys, who had fragmented since the ski day was over. So the four of us grabbed a beer and talked about old times while we waited for a table at the nearby pizzeria. After a short wait, we had our table for 9 and we were catching up and reminiscing. We shoveled down slice after slice of pizza, then decided that we should head back to the Front Range.

A great surprise to have a couple of old friends pass through town, we don't get to see those guys enough. The great part is even though it has been nearly a year since seeing Blake, and at least 3.5 years since seeing Doug, it was like we'd never gone our separate ways.

Its a magic trick..."Tada!" (you had to be there...)

No comments: