Friday, October 12, 2007

Some fine pie

Pizza pie that is.

About a year ago, the guys at Markwest introduced me to "true" Chicago style, deep dish pizza. Yeah I'd had plenty of "Chicago style" pizza before, but this is a different creation altogether. These pies are 3 inches deep, and when you cut a slice out, the cheese literally oozes out the sides. It takes 20+ minutes to bake, and when done correctly its about as good as it gets. And just when I got absolutely hooked on Benniamino's pies, he closed up shop and moved on. I was upset. Tim, Benny's biggest fan, packed up and moved back to Chicago. While I'm not sure it was 100% due to Benny's closing, I think it certainly played a roll.

Tonight after running some errands around Boulder, I took Jill to Baked in Boulder. Aside from having a great name for a pizza place in Boulder, the man makes a mean pie. We walked in, and immediately I felt like good things were to come.

No menu.
No prices.
Seating for about 15 people.

The one employee (I assume the owner) simply asks what we want. I reply "pepperoni" and he says "I'll make you up a 12" double pepperoni". That'll work.

So 20 minutes passes and the pie shows up, an enticing mix of tomato sauce, pepperoni and cheese. The cook immediately serves me up two pieces, and I made quick work of it. I had found a replacement for Benny's, and it is close. Good things for my pallet, bad things for my waste line.

And in other news, tomorrow at noon MST marks the start of 24 Hours of Moab. I've got two riding buddies taking on the task with Chris Plesko running Solo and John "The Punisher" Perry on a 5 person team. I'll be tracking the real time results and pulling for them in this monstrous task. I've got this feeling that Chris is going to put up a big result...

No comments: