Sunday, March 05, 2006

Assault on my legs

Three straight days of pushing my legs to the limit. I'm determined to be in good biking shape this summer so I can manage the brutal climbing found on a lot of great rides near the Front Range.

Thursday - 19 mile mountain bike ride with a 9.5 mile climb
Friday - Full bore skiing at Steamboat Springs
Saturday - More skiing at the Boat. 17 runs without a break and nearly 23k vertical feet of drop skied from 10:30am to 3:00pm.

Below is the GPS Elevation track from our Saturday ski day and then the Thursday bike ride. I was supposed to go for another bike ride today, but decided to push that till tomorrow after having my first ski crash of the year (unfortunately at 25mph on an ice field). Ouch.

17 runs with no stops....We hit the slopes hard on Friday (no charts as GPS was acting up) then again on Saturday. John Perry and I did 17 runs from 10:30 - 3:00pm without stopping. We ate on the lifts, and never had a lift line to wait in. Not the best snow, but a punishing day on the mountain nonetheless


What goes up, thankfully gets to come down with minimal effort. These types of grinding climbs are just the thing I need to get in shape for the upcoming biking season. So far I'm off to a good start just have to stick with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel,

This is Steve -we rode together on Logan Mill last week. I was poking around the Redstone Cyclery site, followed the link to your blog, and didn't realize who you were until I say your post about riding Logan Mill last Thursday. Cool data from the GPS. I am hoping to ride more MBT this summer, so hopefully I will cross paths with you while riding with John sometime.

Steve