Thursday, May 17, 2007

Big wheels keep rolling



I am starting to develop a love affair with big wheels. I was skeptical at first, and wasn't ready to convert without decent tires and forks to chose from but all that is in the past. The singlespeed 29er is so much more versatile than I ever expected, and its just a blast to ride. On nights when I get home and don't feel like getting out, this bike is what convinces me to get out and ride.



So again tonight I hit up the dirt roads, having completely honed my route to the absolute minimum in pavement riding. I set out east on a cloudy, hazy night to just spin the pain out of my legs from yesterday. I took it easy, only picking up the pace on the occasional hill.



Within 15 minutes, I'm miles removed from the 'burbs and back to dirt roads and pastures filled with cows. The cars are few and far between, and occasionally I pass another intrepid biker rambling around a we exchange a quick wave and a "I like your style" nod as we pass.



I can't wait for some of the fast, swoopy trails to open up in the high country as Nancy the Niner will eat them up. I'm anxiously awaiting the day when I can get up to West Mag on my Niner and pound out a 30 mile day on the singlespeed. Oh yes, I have some serious plans for the high country terrain this summer....



I know Nancy, but its just a couple of days...

No comments: