Friday, October 13, 2006

I'll take a salad, hold the fries please.

While in Pittsburgh working at the Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center, I was told multiple times about Pittsburgh having an alarmingly large percentage of obese people. Coming from the Boulder area where there are more world-class athletes than obese people, the large number of large people in Pittsburgh. After doing some extensive research, I may have found the answer.

Wednesday at lunch Nowell & I set out looking for a place to grab a quick sandwich. Somewhere along the way Nowell tells me he was told of a great Greek restaurant in the area, so we set out to find it. Greek food isn't really my bag, but I can find something to eat there I'm sure.

Wednesday marked day 3 of our 4 day food bender in Pittsburgh, so as we approached Zorba's Greek Restaurant I was pleased to see "Home of our famous Grilled Chicken Salad" painted on the window. A sensible, grilled chicken salad for lunch sounds pretty good so I place my order and grab a table.

I am literally jaw dropped as my salad arrives. I've never seen anything like it before. Nestled directly between my layer of grilled chicken and lettuce is a pile of french fries. ON A SALAD.

I've been on the East Coast, all over the West Coast and lots of places in between but I have never in my years seen a salad with a big layer of french fries on it. Stunned but hungry, I proceed to just scrape the fries off and have a non-Pittsburgh grilled chicken salad.

Out of morbid curiosity, when I got back to the office I had to ask about this salad. I was then even more shocked as they told me that wasn't a fluke, in fact they were surprised that I had never had a fry-salad before. I guess when you think about it, being as the Heinz name is all over the city of Pittsburgh, that fries are probably pretty much standard on everything.

I'll have the fettuccine alfredo, fries on the side please.
Two scoops of Strawberry, hold the fries please.
The possibilities are endless....

No comments: