Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Signs of winter

Its as reliable as the sun, this time of the year I start to get an unexplainable seasonal depression. This syndrome has lessened considerably since moving to Colorado, due to ski season, but its inevitable that it will happen. Today marks the first real signs that it is 6 months till consistent warm temps.

The signs:
1. Snow falling on the Front Range
2. Big snows (8-16 inches) headed for the mountains
3. High country epic mountain bike trails accumulating snow that won't be gone till June 07
4. My bike on the trainer
5. My Winter Park/Copper Mtn season pass paid for but not used

Yeah I know that this "slack time" really is only about a month, as the ski resorts are opening in rapid succession right now, but I'm so spoiled here that I can't handle a month going by without instant outdoor gratification. In the spring/summer months we have "mud season" where you can't ski anymore, but some bike trails aren't dried out but that coordinates with warming temps and longer days. Jill & I have been driving to work in total darkness for several weeks now, and the sun rays after work are getting harder to catch.

But hope is there. Fresh powder, a new job and a renewed determination to build a fitness base over the winter (even if it means a lot of time on the bike trainer) have me already primed for skiing and mountain biking next summer. Now its time for me to hibernate for a month and start mapping/graphing/researching all the places I'm going to go next spring....

No comments: