Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Post Sickness Circling of the Wagons

Had a nasty head cold that took me down to a stuffed up mess, rendering any sort of physical activity on the shelf for a bit. Heck I felt too bad to even play games on the Wii. I made the conscious decision to just take time off the training program and try to get healed up rather than let this linger on for weeks.

So I was off from Friday 1/5 till last night, and I could sure feel it. I'm sure I've still got some side effects from pumping mass quantities of Dayquil/Nyquil into my system, but it was the only relief I could find and it wasn't much relief. So last night I hit the trainer for an easy 45 minute Zone 2 spin while I watched some mindless dribble on the TV. I got through it, and my legs actually felt OK but my heart rate numbers where higher than they normally would be on such a short ride. Oh well, I've got a considerable amount of time before the real season, so a 1.5 week setback isn't a big deal to me at this point.

On a cycling related front, Jill and I decided after watching Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, that we should try to do more to recycle and conserve. Well one of the things we are going to start doing when the spring hits is ride our bikes across town to dinner or small errands instead of getting in the car and driving. We get so many nice days here (although not that many lately...), that its more a treat than a concession.

Of course, I can't exactly chain up the custom Yeti 575 or the all carbon Roubaix and not worry about them getting stolen, so I somehow have convinced Jill to let me get a "budget" bike to do these sorts of things on. I'm thinking I'll go steel frame and rigid fork to keep the costs down, plus it should take some of the edge off bumps when I take it to the trails. I've got my eye on a couple frames, but I won't give away my pick just yet as I still have to track down a test ride or two. I've got quite a few spare parts laying around from upgrades that should keep the build costs to a minimum (or else I'll probably be sleeping in the basement with the bikes!).

Now that I'm well, we'll probably think about hitting the ski slopes or the snow shoe trail again this weekend. I'm sure we'll get our usual Friday snowstorm, its getting easy to predict. All in all the cold pattern we've been in hasn't been that bad, but I keep expecting its going to break and it just never seems to. Then again it is January in Colorado...

1 comment:

Chris said...

New bike time :) Be careful though. That beater may become your daily grind after a while. It'SS certainly happened to more than one rider around here.