Monday, March 05, 2007

From 2 planks to knuckle dragging

Well more like face dragging down the slopes. What in the world am I talking about? Snowboarding. I'm getting to be a pretty good skier these days, so I decided to try my hand at snowboarding again. I have done it previously, and really enjoyed it, but its been two years and a couple severe injuries to shoulders since I've been out. Until this weekend that is...

Saturday we hit up Copper Mountain, choosing to go a little later in the day hoping to avoid the super chilly morning temps. We skied hard and fast, but stood in lift lines for a long time. After 10 or so runs, we gave up as the sun was setting and we were cold. And FYI, The Dam Brewery makes for a nice after skiing stop.

So Sunday we got up early and headed to Winter Park for some more turns. Sarah started out the day on her board, but Jill and I both were sporting 2 planks. We did Sleeper (a steeper, long blue/black run) several times to avoid the long lift lines on Mary Jane while Sarah felt her way down the hill on the board.

Around noon, we caught up to Sarah and she was visibly beat from a hard day adjusting to the knuckle dragging lifestyle again. I was wanting to try out my shiny new board and related gear, so I decided to try my luck for a run or two. I did the change over from skis to board and met up with Jill on the Corona Way road to the base of Mary Jane. It started out pretty well, as I was able to make it down the easy road using mainly the heel edge but staying upright nonetheless.

Now the hard part. The lift is a 2 person chair, so Sarah & I headed up together with me being very nervous about taking both of us out. When we got to the top, I was very relieved when I was able to scoot right off the lift without problem. So on to the slope.

I should have known better to start on a blue run, but that would have been the easy way. I tentatively edged my way down using the heel edge, as the toe edge still felt very, very foreign. After falling, somewhat from being worn out, I stood up and regrouped as Jill said to me...

"You just need to commit"

So I committed.

I started down the slope feeling it was time to check out this lauded toe edge. I was quickly picking up speed when I tried to get on the toe edge when it all went wrong. Before I knew it I was flying through the air and doing a snow auger with my head. As I was laying on the slope writhing in pain, Jill & Sarah had a good laugh at my expense. When the pain subsided enough for me to open my eyes, I looked back to see several 8 inch deep holes where my knees, wrist and head had planted the snow.

Thats the dangerous thing about getting too much toe edge, because with the combined nature of a 30 degree slope and falling forward its a long time and too much momentum before you make contact with the snow again. You can see this illustrated in my awesome MS Paint recreation (inspired by Kade's drawing) below.



So I've learned a couple things...

1. Start on greens till I can figure out this toe edge thing
2. Take a lesson. Its taken me 12 years to get decent form on skies after teaching myself how to ski, so it would be great to learn the right way to board.

I'll be back, once I get full control over my body again. My arms and shoulders are so sore they are rendered pretty much useless right now. I've basically got Trex arms right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kudos on the sweet pic you drew. however, i think you should have included me in the pic lying next to you laughing so hard that i couldn't stand up for about 20 minutes...sarah