Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Get Out and Get Lost!



Usually those words wouldn't be a good thing, but for me they are like a siren's call. Tonight after getting home from work, Jill and I took the pooches out for a walk around the neighborhood, then grabbed some dinner when we got done. After that, I was still didn't feel that I had taken advantage of the record 74 degree temps so I evaluated my quiver of bikes to see what suited my fancy.

The neglected Yeti? Not tonight, didn't make much sense with daylight fleeting and no trails to be had.

The super quick Roubaix? It was good to get out on Sunday, but the sand leftover from the winter snow removal might make some for some treacherous moments cornering in the dark.

The Niner SS? Quickly becoming my main steed, and gives me the ability to ride road, gravel, trails and pretty much everything in between. Yep, the Niner would be perfect tonight.

So I set out with no agenda, no route and no expectations. I cruised the neighborhood paths before deciding to check out what sits just east of us. I had seen the Union Reservoir signs pointing east on the dirt road near our house, but strangely enough I had never been down it. So tonight I took Nancy the Niner and set out down the gravel roads to the east of town.

I was shocked (and quit thrilled) to find out just how quickly I could get out of the hussle and bussle of suburbia and get out of town, literally. My route was mainly dirt roads, full of washboards and void of people and cars for the most part.

As the sun set over my shoulder, I decided to start making my way back towards home. Upon turning back west towards Longmont, I was treated to one of the most amazing sunsets I've seen in quite some time. Gorgeous arrays of reds, blues, pinks laced the sky above the Indian Peaks and Long's Peak. Yeah it was just a dirt road, and sure there was a stiff headwind but I couldn't help but just smile as I pedaled towards the painting in the sky.

Its amazing what you can find and the places you get to see when you just get out and explore. So get out and get lost.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Nice post! Exploring is good times.