Friday, May 12, 2006

It was bound to happen...

but for me it is all too soon. As much as I hate winter with its short days and cold temps, it does have one really great thing going for it. No snakes. I went out for a spin at lunch today, nothing huge, just a ride up the road to the Boulder Valley Ranch trails. Road ride up, then hit the dirt trails and spin around once before heading back. The trails there are mainly double track, but bikers have created a singletrack path that parallels the double track almost around the entire loop.

Singletrack > Doubletrack

Well not today anyway. I was spinning around the back side of the trails on the singletack path when I came around a slight corner and the rock I was about to jump off started moving.

In the immortal words of Shaggy.....ZOINKS!

I do love big, hydraulic disc brakes though. I grabbed a bunch of brake and steered hard right missing the 2 (yeah not 1 but 2) snakes by about 3 feet. These two were all twirled up in a frightening ball of evil. It would be my guess that they were doing the unthinkable and creating a bunch of baby snakes. I stopped about 1/10th of a mile down the trail to warn another biker headed that way of the danger that was head. He asked "What kind of snakes were they? Where they rattlesnakes? I've got my camera maybe I can get some pics". I hopped back on my bike while thinking "you go ahead and do that". No way was I headed back to take pictures.

Needless to say the rest of the day I pretty much stuck to the doubletrack the rest of the way around.

No comments: