Monday, April 30, 2007

When in doubt...Ride.

With the desk job daily grind, I often get home, grab dinner and then find myself struggling to find the motivation to get on the bike and go ride. When I ultimately get my butt up and go ride, I am 99% of the time very glad I did so. I've come to find that the Niner SS is a great "I don't want to ride, I'd rather be lazy" motivation tool. That bike is a heck of a lot of fun, and the simplicity of the rigid 29er SS just a blast to ride.

So after my long road ride on Saturday, I decided to take it easy on Sunday and do an easier recovery ride around town on the SS. Jill joined me, and we cruised our way across town along the bike paths. We ambled along for about 15 miles while enjoying some new sights and warm temps.



Today, I wasn't feeling great on the way home from work, but after some dinner I felt fine again. I tried to find an excuse not to ride, as I truly wanted to be a lazy slug.

Rain clouds. Wind.

I was not feeling motivated at all, but then I saw Nancy the Niner staring back at me. I told myself I'd just get out for 30-45 minutes, at least I'd be getting out. So I headed out, rain threatening and winds gusting. I rolled around the neighborhood and through the parks, and I was having a great ride and feeling good.

Given the good legs and nice weather, I headed out on the dirt roads for some gravel road cruising. I spun around the lake, seeing as many critters and people out for a evening walk as I did cars and then headed for home. Something about the dirt roads, animals, and wide-open spaces just has a truly calming effect on me. Gone were the day's stresses and back was the joyful feeling of a kid on his bike.




And since today wraps up April for me, I figured I would look back at my totals. Not a great month, but I finished pretty strong. Taking out the skiing from the 1st half of the month, this is what my April ended up totaling:

14 rides (8 Road, 6 29er SS)
322 miles (250 road, 72 29er SS)
20.5 hours ride time (14.5 road, 6 29er SS)
12,500 feet climbing

May is a big month, and I plan to build and progress. Stay tuned...

No comments: